In this 5th Grade lesson, you continue learning about the Sacrament of Confession. We will again review and practice the process of going to Confession.
All CatechismClass Lessons follow our time-tested 7 Step format: Introduction, Opening Prayers, Scripture and Commentary, Catechism Passages, Integration of the Lesson Topic, an activity, and a closing prayer. Quizzes end each of the lessons.Preview This Lesson
Buy 5th Grade: Lesson 12: Sacraments: Confession Part IV: How to Go to Confession for only $1.99
The Prayer by William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1865
Preparing for Confession:
When you go into a church, you are entering the house of God. Just as you would act nicely and respectfully going to friend or family member’s house, you must also behave respectfully in church. It is in church that Jesus is found in the Tabernacle. Every Catholic Church has a special place called a tabernacle where the Holy Eucharist is kept. The Holy Eucharist is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus. The Tabernacle is the sacred place where He is placed. You can visit Him at any time.
When you enter God’s house, remember to be quiet and act with your best behavior. The first thing you should do is bless yourself with holy water. Then when you reach your seat, genuflect toward the Tabernacle and kneel down in a pew. Make the Sign of the Cross, and pray to God that He will help you make a good confession. Tell Him that you are sorry for hurting Him with your sins. Ask for His help in overcoming them and growing closer to Him. Then think about all the sins you have committed.
This is the time to perform your Examination of Conscience that you learned about in the last lesson. Spend a good deal of time really thinking of your actions. Every night, before you go to bed, you should try to remember to examine how you behaved that day. If you do this every day, you will be well prepared to go to confession. After you examine your conscience, pray a good Act of Contrition.
How to go to Confession:
1. Go kneel in the confessional and make the Sign of the Cross.
2. Then say, “Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been X since my last Confession.”
3. Confess your sins to the priest.
4. The priest may talk to you about your sins. He may ask you some questions or give you some advice about avoiding those sins. He will ask you to make a good Act of Contrition. You will pray the Act of Contrition at this point.
5. The priest will give you your penance. Listen carefully to his instructions and be sure to carry them out right away.
6. The priest will give you Absolution. He will say, “God the Father of Mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son has sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of ... Please purchase this lesson to continue learning.
5th Grade: Lesson 12: Sacraments: Confession Part IV: How to Go to Confession is part of the following course(s):